OK, so you have a great website. Now what? When people type in those coveted keywords, will you rank on the first page of the top search engines? Or is it futile to even try? I’ve read literally hundreds of books, blog pieces, and articles about search engine optimization. They all say essentially the same thing. So my question is, does it work? And can a small business achieve a relatively high ranking without selling their soul?
We’re a small but growing business so I’m going to see if I can get the WebWorks Now website home page (or any page for that matter) to a page rank of 5 in a reasonable amount of time, let’s say 12 months. I’ll take you through the most commonly recommended steps. And maybe I’ll throw in some not so conventional ones as well. Here’s my tentative list.
- Meta what?
- Create an XML Sitemap
- Make sure your domain won’t expire within the next two years
- Create local profiles and submit to local search engines
- Find other directories that make sense for your customers or for your business
- Create press releases when you launch a new product, get a new client, or do anything worth writing about
- Get others to link to your website
- Create links of your own
- Get your company or organization on Facebook
- Get a presence on Twitter
- Use Linked In if your customers are there
- Submit to review sites
- Get a blog and get yourself out there
That’s it for now. I may revise as we go and learn more about what works and what doesn’t. Wish me luck!